Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sarah Palin as Eva Peron?

Eugene Robinson, in his editorial today (click here to read it), said that Sarah Palin, reminds him of Eva Peron. ...Really?

Perhaps he meant to compare the way in which they both came to govern? Oh, wait, no, Eva Peron was never elected (though she was nominated once).

Since Evita didn't ever win an election maybe he means that they gained popularity and power the same way?  If that is the case then Robinson is calling Palin some sort of whore or slut; Evita slept her way to the top. 

If I'm not mistaken Sarah Palin's path to public prominence included a governorship, nomination by John McCain, writing a book, and getting a couple of spots on TV.

Since they really aren't alike with regard to power, maybe their politics were the same.  Evita's lema (battle cry) was how the people were victims of the government and needed to be taken care of by the government.  She called them her descamisados (shirtless ones).  Does that sound like Sarah Palin?

Oh, I get it, he's referring to the fact that they're both natural brunettes.  Can't you tell from the pictures?

He did say that they were both presented as martyrs.  Aside from the fact that Palin is still alive and Evita died of a terrible disease, he gets that wrong because Palin is a consistent and favorite target from those in the media. 

Perhaps Eugene Robinson should follow his own recommendation to Palin and take a break from writing and insulting people whose history he doesn't know.

2 comments:

  1. This is Seriously one of my favorites. This article makes me feel like I know politics!
    ...
    But alas I do not. :(
    At least I have articles I can trust! haha
    I'm terrible...

    ReplyDelete